Sunday 4 December 2011

Have your people call my people.

Beyonce and Ellen De Generes: Have your people call my people.

This week, I have decided to look at the American Express adverts. American Express (Or AmEx) is a financial services corporation founded in 1850. It's also now, in 2011, the biggest card in America.

I looked at this first advert, and the most attention drawing thing about it, was of course that it had Beyonce and Ellen in it. Beyonce is a world known, international recording star and Ellen is the host of incredibly popular chat show "Ellen" on American TV.
This advert is comical, as most things with Ellen in are, and shows Ellen looking around her studio for her "people", after Beyonce has suggested Ellen come to a concert - "Have your people call my people". Ellen can't find her people, but eventually makes it to the show - American Express was there for her, symbolizing that American Express are your people, and will catch you if you need saving.

This second advert starring Kate Winslet, is definitely my favorite. I personally think it's been done so cleverly particularly with the script.

Kate: At 17 I went to prison for murder, by 19, I was penniless and heartbroken, I almost drowned at 20. My mind started to go at 24. Then I had my memory erased at 28. And by 29...I was in Neverland. My real life doesn't need any extra drama, that's why my card is American Express. My life. My card.

It's not until after you've seen the advert a couple of times that you realise it's not just Kate Winslet playing a part, walking through Camden Market. Each little sentence and where she is, what she is doing at that point of the commercial relates cleverly to a film she's made.
For example:

At 17, I went to prison for murder - Heavenly Creatures, 1994
(The camera pans through wrought iron bars)
By 19, I was penniless and heartbroken - Sense & Sensibility, 1995
(In Camden, Kate picks up a worn copy of Sense & Sensibility)
I almost drowned at 20 - Titanic, 1997
(Kate is seen on a bridge, looking over a wide river)
My mind started to go at 24 - Iris, 2001
(Kate leaves the bridge, but forgets her coffee that she has set down on the side. She returns for it.)
And I had my memory erased at 28 - Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, 2004
(Kate is seen walking down the street, she disappears as a car passes her.)
And by 29, I was in Neverland - Neverland, 2004.
(Kate stops at a stall still in Camden Market, and picks up some childrens toys. One in particular, a Peter Pan hat, and also one other; a childs pirate hook.)

The music is a simple background piano piece that lets the script and action on the screen do all of the work; this works perfectly as there is a lot of information an audience would miss if there was a heavy background accompaniment.

This advert is very affective, and works well for it's purpose because it is attempting to give the impression that AmEx is a simple, no strings, no drama card that you can use in any situation without any hassle; what every card user wants.

The subtlety of this advert will make people talk about it, because I know when I first saw it, I thought it was going to be an advert for a movie, or a documentary on Kate Winslet because everything was so tailor made to her during the commercial; however, once I realized that the advert was actually for AmEx Cards, I couldn't help but think it was a really clever advert that made me think.
Which is basically AmEx's attempt, to get their product into people's minds, because then they are more likely to take up an AmEx account.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.